Running past the diving defender, senior Kyron Wooten goes for the touchdown.
Payton Mauk

Putting the “Home” in Homecoming

West Plains celebrates their second homecoming week in school history and beats Hereford 42-21.

On September 29, 2023 West Plains took on the Hereford Whitefaces in their homecoming football game. It was a great game for the Wolves with a 42-21 win and almost 11,000 people showing up to support the Wolves at the Happy State Bank Stadium. The game was  amazing and so was the turnout. 

“It was a big win for us, it prepared us for district,” assistant coach Colby Chandler stated, ”The fact that Hereford was undefeated going into that game made it an exciting game.” Other than the Hereford’s impressive record, they were also highly ranked in their division. After all was said and done, the game turned out to be a phenomenal display of skill and teamwork by the entire West Plains football team. This game set the tone and expectation that West Plains is a serious competitor in football. With a majority of the community showing up, it truly showed the commitment and support the fans have for the team. These football games are for everyone at West Plains- from the players and their families, to the students, and even the young wolves who consider the football athletes their role models. With West Plains heading into the playoffs during the week of November 6th, the future appears exceptionally bright. 

The coaches and athletes were not the only ones preparing the week prior to the big game. The West Plains community showed their support by celebrating in various ways from September 25-29.  The community celebrated because it’s important to keep the traditions being set alive. The celebrations include the parade, pep rally, homecoming court nominating, naming the king and queen, mums & garters, dress up days, and the post-game glow party. School dress-up days included: 

• Monday-Socks, Crock, and Birkenstocks
  • Tuesday-Disco Cowboy
  • Wednesday-Decades Day
  • Thursday-Rhyme without a Reason
  • Friday-We Are West Plains High! 

Out of the numerous spirited festivities, the most popular among them was the parade on Wednesday, September 25, in the Arden neighborhood. The theme of the parade was “decades” and the parade consisted of different clubs, organizations, and sports. One of the several groups was the WPHS band. Students in the band marched through the neighborhood and enjoyed the parade because they got to play their instruments while leading and be recognized. “I really enjoyed being included in homecoming this year,” junior Jonathan Pearson said, “It allowed me to be more active in school events even though I am really busy after school.”

The West Plains Regiment waits to march in the parade and showcase their talent for everyone in the neighborhood. (Ava Villarreal)
Riding on their float, varsity football players show school spirit and participate in the parade. (Ava Villarreal)

West Plains staff worked hard to provide an amazing celebration of homecoming. Students were able to have something to look forward to all week.