Pack Press

The Student News Site of West Plains High School

Pack Press

Pack Press

Volleyball Dominates Against Randall

West Plains with the big upset against Randall High
Yareli Trejo
Huddling together before the game, the varsity volleyball team discusses their next move against Randall.

On October 14th, after a 2-year rivalry, West Plains finally defeats Randall volleyball on the West Plains home court in 4 sets.
After West Plains lost the first set (15-25), they did a complete 180 and went on to win the next 3 sets with scores of 27-25, 25-20, and 25-21.
Senior middle Brooklyn Garcia led the way for the West Plains Wolves leading them in kills with 14 total. In the final moment of the game senior setter Emerson Castillo set the winning point to junior outside hitter Piper Patterson for the winning kill. “That feeling of getting the last kill, I will never feel that feeling again” said Patterson. The gym went wild, all the players ran onto the court cheering and jumping. Everyone in the gym was ecstatic over the huge win against Randall. It was especially monumental because this was the first time in West Plains history that the volleyball team beat Randall.
“It felt very accomplishing, and like all the hard work we put in had paid off,” said assistant Coach Russell, “It was definitely a big confidence booster for us.” Although the win was big, the coaches and players remain focused on the future.  “If we continue to keep playing like this we can make a run for state.” said Patterson. Winning against Randall was a huge accomplishment not only for the volleyball team but all of West Plains.

Senior Jayli Franklin reaches to hit the ball to prevent Randall from scoring their next point. (Yareli Trejo)