Pack Press

The Student News Site of West Plains High School

Pack Press

Pack Press

Unsung Heroes: Athletic Trainers

What do athletic trainers do?
Trainers+at+the+Boss+Bowl+game+vs.+Canyon.+
Payton Mauk
Trainers at the Boss Bowl game vs. Canyon.

The athletic trainers at West Plains High School are the heroes behind every sporting event. However, these amazing heroes don’t always get the recognition they deserve. Throughout the chaos of sporting events, the system stays glued together thanks to the phenomenal trainers West Plains has. 

Many students don’t actually know what our trainers do for West Plains. “Trainers are in charge of hydration for the players, from making Gatorade and individual waters for the players,” said senior trainer Mya Pearson. “Trainers also handle minor injuries such as cuts, scrapes, bruises, and rolled ankles. They most importantly help players with a number of things on and off the field.”

In high school trainers can work with female and male athletes in a wide variety of sports. Injuries can happen very fast so trainers must be ready at all times to provide immediate assessment and first aid when injury occurs. Athletic training gives students the opportunity to learn about health care close up. Training programs can help students get a head start on their future. “Training helped me decide to be in the medical field,” Pearson said “I don’t plan on pursuing athletic training, but I will always carry what I learned with me.” 

“My favorite aspect of training is the atmosphere. When it comes to winning a game or scoring a touchdown,” said junior Nevaeya Valdez, “it really forms a good team if the atmosphere around you is supporting you.” The trainers contribute to the exciting atmosphere sports entail by ensuring all athletes are healthy, injury free, and taken care of. With the long training hours together, the West Plains trainers have become a close knit group.  “We all get along and it’s easy because everyone’s very friendly and trusting with each other,” senior trainer Averil

Brittany McCarty and Nevaeya Valdez filling waters for the football team.

ynn McCraw said. “Training with these amazing students is more than just an after school activity, it’s a family.”

“My advice to anyone wanting to join training is to come with a good attitude and to enjoy every little moment of it because it flies by fast,” said Valdez. Trainers do so much for our athletes; they truly are our silent heroes. Without them, West Plains athletics could not have made the competitive debut into the panhandle world of sports they did in their year and a half of being a school.